Periods or the monthly cycles are a natural process. Mood swings, strange cravings, nausea, vomiting, bloating, pain is commonly associated with periods. There are so many myths and taboo associated with periods that we fail to actually realize that the pain is normal or not? The basic fact that holds true is that period is normal, but period pain is not always normal. Period pain is medically known as dysmenorrhea. If you face extreme pain and can’t even do your regular work or move freely then it’s time to take your pain seriously. If you face severe period pain or cramps then, it’s time to consult your gynecologist.
Here are a few simple ways that can help you to get relief from period pain easily and quickly:-
- Hot Water Bag – Hot compresses or using hot water bags or heating pad on your lower back or belly is the best and perhaps the oldest way to get relief from the period cramps and pain. It helps to ease the period pain.
- Exercise – Indulging in an active lifestyle and doing exercises like yoga, Zumba, cardio, aerobics or playing any sort of sports can help in easing the period pain. Staying active helps in easing the pain and the flow of blood smoothens. It is recommended that ladies should take rest during the period phase yet if their body permits. They can take a brisk walk or take up some light exercises or simply do some breathing exercises to ease the pain.
- Hot Bath – There is nothing that cannot be fixed by a hot shower or hot water bathtub. Just submerge yourself in a hot water tub or indulge in a hot shower and ease out all your period pain. For additional benefits, put lavender essential oil or lemongrass oil along with Epsom salt in the water.
- Taking Rest and Staying Stress-Free – Staying stress-free helps in dealing with the emotional trauma during the periods. Stress can aggravate the anxiety, PMS symptoms, mood swings during the periods thus controlling stress will prove to be helpful. Doing meditation or listening to music can be a great stress buster. Take ample rest during periods and have full 8 hours of sleep which will help in staying stress-free and easing the period pain.
- The Golden Shake – Consume hot milk with the goodness of turmeric, almond, and cinnamon powder to heal your period pain. Add sugar or jaggery to improve the taste. It is an age-old Ayurveda medicine that can be prepared at home and consumed to ease period pain. The pain will ease and if consumed all throughout the month and other pain will also vanish.
- Over the Counter Medicines – The over the counter medicines like ibuprofen, naproxen, or acetaminophen can also help in providing relief during the period pain.
Due to the misleading facts regarding period pain that has been passed through generations, the period pain is often neglected. Due to this unawareness, some serious medical issues crop up later. Thus, if you face extreme pain then it is better to consult your doctor immediately.