It is known that a modern tyre for long-term preservation of its properties during operation requires periodic maintenance. In recent years, the truck detailing service has begun to develop actively, and this type of service work can be considered one of the most mechanized in terms of technological development.
The technology for repairing truck tyre puncture has its characteristics and is quite laborious in comparison with the repair of tyres of passenger cars. This is due to the large size and weight of the tyres, as well as the use of special equipment and devices.
Truck drivers, especially commercial wagons, often have to repair truck wheels right on the highway, away from tyre shops. There are two main ways to do this:
- Replace the damaged wheel with a spare.
- Repair the punctured wheel on your own to get to the nearest suitable tyre fitting.
Wheel chocks and an air pump hose will also be required.
If there is no spare wheel at hand, then a temporary repair of a small puncture of the wheel, depending on its type, can be performed in one of the following ways:
- Using a special aerosol sealant which is blown into the chamber;
- Using sealant or inserting a tourniquet in the area.
These methods allow you to quickly restore the wheel, even without removing it from the truck. But it should be borne in mind that with such a tyre you can only get to the nearest tyre fitting station.
How truck tyre puncture is handled?
With the help of vulcanization, truck tyre puncture repair of any complexity is performed. It is of two types:
- The hot method is carried out by applying a patch of crude rubber to the place of damage, to which a special electric vulcanizer is pressed, heated to 150-200 ° C. As a result, the patch is melted and welded into the rubber of the tyre, forming a single whole with it
- With the cold method, the patch is glued with a special glue and is pressed tightly to the place of damage by a pneumatic press. When dried, the adhesive partially dissolves the rubber of the tyre, penetrating into its structure.
The main risks of self-repair
Self-repair of truck tyre puncture is almost impossible. This is because the considerable effort is required to re-fit such wheels. In tyre shops, special hydraulic and pneumatic devices are used for this. In some cases, it is possible to inflate the truck tyres only with the help of a powerful compressor or a special pneumatic gun, which you may not be having.
When you are doing truck tyre puncture repair on your own with a sealant, you must contact a repair shop as soon as possible. Given that truck tyres are under heavy load, a tyre repaired in this way will not last long and may fail at the most inopportune moment.
The most dangerous situation occurs when the tyre appears to have lateral cuts, or there are tears on the cord. Such defects cannot be eliminated easily, and riding on such wheels can lead to severe consequences, even an accident.