If you are on the mission to compare hardwood pallets with that of the pine wood pallet, then you are likely to choose based on the affordability or durability of the material. Even though hardwood pallets are known to offer high-end longevity to the packaging sector, but softwoods like pine are always the cheaper version. So, if your business deals with light-weighted items, then going for the pine pallet is always a nice choice to consider.
But, make sure to go for the pine wood pallet only if you are planning to abandon the pallet after using it only once. Some people forget the importance of plastic pallets, but these plastic options might not be safe for the environment.
The right choice between quality and price:
Whenever you are comparing hardwood and softwood options like pine wood pallet, it is important to understand the difference lies between these two options on a basic level.
- Hardwood is procured from deciduous trees, which will lose their leaves on a yearly basis. Then you have the softwood from trees, noted to stay evergreen.
- Shipping pallets are mainly made from the hardwood options like maple, oak, teak, walnut and hickory or mahogany and also from various softwood options like different types of pines.
- There are multiple pros and cons to consider with hardwood and pine wood pallet as well before you can make way for the right choice.
The pros and cons related to pine options:
- Well, it is not hard to state that pine is lower in cost because it is available in plenty. So, these pallets are relatively cheaper and easier to come by.
- Moreover, pine is not that dense, much like hardwood. So, these pallets are light in weight and easier to handle.
- You can reduce deforestation with the pine pallets for sure. Softwoods tend to grow faster than the hardwood alternatives, so the pallets made out of softwood can be more sustainable.
- Pine is widely used for making single-use pallets, which are rejected by some retailers who are willing to reuse their pallets.
- Moreover, because of the lower density, pine might easily warp and splinter easily. That might lead to some wooden shards behind, which can damage product or equipment.
- On the other hand, as pine wood pallet is softwood, you are dealing with; therefore, you can only expect lower weight capacity. So, these pallets are not useful for heavy transportations.
The right comparison:
Comparing the hardwood and pine pallets will reveal that each one has its own unique benefits involved and with its fair share of drawbacks as well. When it comes down to the final results, pallets made out of hardwood and softwood will have their pros and cons to deal with. So, it is vital to check out the quality of work first and what you need the pallets for before making the right choice.
For the start-up businesses, which are looking for one-time pallet use, pine wood pallet might be a good call to consider.